OUR LISTENING COMMUNITY DEFINED
Bay FM’s catchphrase Our Community Your Radio gives an exact expression of the philosophy that is embedded in and which manifests itself in the everyday operations of the station; it is a true community radio service about the community as it serves and operate from within the community a service they can truly call their radio.
Bay FM is a responsible and responsive member of society and has a history of evidence to testify to its commitment and contribution towards community development. Evidence of some of the various community engagement activities can be viewed at www.bayfmfoundation.co.za and www.bayfm.co.za We however believe that the community being served by Bay FM should not necessarily be restricted to our allocated broadcasting area, but that we could make a contribution towards development in our extremely challenged rural areas in the Eastern Cape Province and beyond.
The following graphs and diagrams provide a synopsis of our current listenership which currently stands at 100000. Social media accounts also assist in getting our message across with Facebook (Main Page) having 7849 likes and Twitter a following of 4656. These numbers do not account for each show as most of them also manage their own pages / accounts. We are in the process of amalgamating all pages into one / provide links to current pages through the help of the main page.
BEYOND TRADITIONAL RADIO COMMERCIALS
In addition to traditional radio Commercials, we are always eager to plan ‘out of the box’ advertising methods which may include the following:
• Outside/Direct broadcasts
• On-air competitions and call to action initiatives
• Sponsorship and renaming of particular/popular shows
• Live interviews
• Pre-recorded programmes
• Advertising around our news, weather or traffic reports
FACTS CONCERNING COMMUNITY RADIO
• Reaches people in areas un-serviced by mainstream media
• Accounts for 22.5% of the total radio listenership in SA
• Fastest growing medium in SA
• Delivers niche markets better than any other medium
• Programming has a local flavour
• Maximum reach in areas limiting wastage
• Low costing but delivers affordable high frequency reach campaigns
• Seen by Government and others as a critical medium of mass communication
• Approximately 6.3 mil adults in SA listen to Community Radio
• Around 8% of higher LSM listen to Community Radio